Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Adrian Clayborn Is Pissed At Me

Adrian Clayborn
It’s not the first time I have had a player or coach mad at me.  But it could be the first time ever I have had player mad at me that I have never met.  Knowing his size, strength and popularity, probably not smart on my part.

Let me set the record straight, my riff is not with Adrian Clayborn, it’s with his PR people, “Profiles Public Relations”. 

Here’s how the drill works; Clayborn is VERY popular in the state of Iowa and before he gets drafted he needs to cash in on his popularity.  He’s not the first player ever to do this and he won’t be the last.  In fact I am in full support.  To keep up with the demand and help find and publicize public appearances, a player and or coach will turn to his agent or a PR firm to help out.   Last week I received and email from Adrian’s PR firm basically begging for interviews.    He has a full schedule and the more interviews he does the hope is the more people show up to his events.

I had a lined up and confirmed an interview with Adrian on my morning show, TNT on 1460 KXNO for Wednesday at 7:00.  Very simple we supply the studio hot line and Adrian calls and we spend 10-15 minutes with him.  It’s how 99% of our interviews work. 

To make a long story a little shorter, late Tuesday night I get an email from the gate keepers saying that Adrian is not going to have time.    The excuse, he’s driving over from Iowa City and He’s going to be on KXNO later in the day.

My response, he’s not driving alone, put him in the passenger seat and let him talk.   Also, who cares that he’s on a show later in the day on the same station.  The listening audience at 7:00 AM is a lot different that at 2:00 PM.  We have the same guests all the time.

Many of you know I don’t hold back, I was not happy about the cancellation and I really think it came down to Adrian being overbooked.   Note to PR firms out there, never ask for a handout and then pull your hand back.    I let me frustration be known on the air, listen to the podcast here. You will notice I never say a bad thing about Adrian. 

My frustration was not with Adrian Clayborn but his PR firm.  Of course my frustration was broadcast on twitter and the rest of the story takes on a life of its own.  Clayborn is pissed, his PR firm is pissed, his agent is pissed, and hell fans are pissed.   Well now they know how I felt when the interview got canceled.

Here’s a shock, he didn’t show up for the afternoon show on KXNO either.  Was that my fault?  Could be but the official excuse, you guessed it he needed to be somewhere else for an appearance.  Again, bad planning on the PR firms’ part.

Who lost in this deal, Adrian Clayborn?  No he’s a popular Hawk and always will be.  The TNT show?  No I’ve been blown off before and it will happen again.

The real losers today:  The Boys and Girls Club of Des Moines and The Rookie Card Shop.  Both would have been talked about extensively on the radio in not one but two different time slots.  That’s valuable publicity that last long after Adrian Clayborn steps through the doors.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah. Nothing like being blamed for someone else's incompetence. I wish I could say that scheduling stupidity happens only with celebrities and athletes, but even in my little career, people often treat my business with marginal courtesy. Just honestly saying, "We screwed up. Sorry," makes it better than both not showing and then deflecting blame.

    ReplyDelete