Sunday, June 19, 2011

Sunday HuskerHawkeye Links

First of all, happy Fathers Day!  As a father of four myself I know it can be hard to juggle all the responsibilities in life.  Please know that you are truly making a difference in the lives of those around you.

My gift to all the fathers out there today, a reminder that football season is right around the corner!  Also the launch of www.huskerhawkeye.com is coming on July 1st.  Yes the same day Nebraska becomes an "official" member of the Big 10.  I can't let the Huskers have all the glory on that day:)

A couple of good reads for your Sunday, the first comes from Mike Hlas of the Cedar Rapids Gazette, his column is republished in the Omaha World Herald, I can assure you this is the first of many about this rivalry and the whole reason this blog was created.  Notice Hlas takes some shots at Nebraska's "other" sports, this rivalry just isn't about football.  Well at least in Iowa.  I have news for Hlas and Iowa fans, you can brag all you want about basketball, wrestling, field hockey and such.  The only scoreboard that matters to Nebraska fan is that on the football field.  Football trumps everything else.

Of course we wouldn't even be talking about this rivalry if it wasn't for Big 10 Commissioner Jim Delaney.  The Lincoln Journal Star has a profile of the commish that really gets to the heart of who he is.  Iowa fans think the Hayden Fry family tree is impressive,  I think we need to take a longer look at the Dean Smith family tree.

Speaking of Delaney,  he talks about the naming of the Big 10 Divisions, Legends and Leaders.  I'm in the minority here,  I love the names and have from the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment